If you tried to access my site over the last couple weeks, you’ve probably had trouble loading pages, especially from the 11th to 14th of September. It turns out the commenting script for my site was suddenly getting hammered really, REALLY bad by comment spammers–100 or more separate spams at any given moment apparently. My weblog software filters and hides the vast majority of this nasty stuff from me, so I didn’t realize how bad it was getting. And by bad, I mean it was actually killing the server that hosts my site–until they finally shut me down last week. For some reason, Google likes me, so I guess the spammers decided I really needed to get notched up the persecution list. This is particularly frustrating, because I would have disabled the commenting script right away if I had known this was happening.
The thing that clinched the problem is that the company hosting my site has run into some sort of trouble and no longer responds promptly to support issues. So I didn’t realize my own comment spam was the root of the growing problem until I finally got a response from them Sunday–by which time my site and email had been dead for nearly three days. In the meantime, I had already signed up with a different hosting company (ICDSoft) with excellent support rankings; and that’s where we are today. A few things may be glitchy–it’s not point-n-click to move a weblog database from one server to another unfortunately. And I’ve disabled commenting, so my site doesn’t get assassinated again.
I still hope to get & post comments (I’m needy that way :-), but for the time being, I’ll need to get them via email and post them manually. (see the email listed in the heading above). Thanks for being patient with all of this.